Thursday, January 6, 2011

I will never make quiche again....

I received some really thoughtful gifts for Christmas.  My parents always spoil me with things I wouldn't normally buy for myself.  My sister and her husband are great gift-givers.  My aunt bought me a new Wusthof.  You already know about the skillet.  My in-laws always come through with new sheets and gift cards! 

But, this year my mother-in-law really changed the way I'm going to bake.  She bought me a tart pan.  Do you have one?  I used mine for the first time last night and I'm in love. 

I've made this quiche many times before and tried to call it a tart - but I always made it in a pie plate.  I think my mom found the original recipe in a Parade magazine or something.  Of course, I've made so many changes over the years, it has morphed into something fairly original. 

I've seen many menus featuring leek tarts, thinking they're very similar to a quiche. 

And then - and then I made my standby recipe using my new tart pan.  Rob and I were trying to figure out why it tastes so much better.  My evaluation is that the crust benefits from the darkness of the tart pan.  Rob thinks the result is due to the fact that the baking process is more even.  Whichever of us is right, I really don't care. 

If you like bacon, leeks, and goat cheese (sorry, Marg) - you have to make this. 

The process is rather simple. 

Make your favorite pie crust - I use a mixture of butter, shortening, salt, flour, and cold water.  


Pat the crust into the tart pan - you probably could roll it out, but I was running short on time and like to chill my dough if I'm going to roll it out.  The results are the same.  


In the meantime, fry your bacon in a skillet.  Remove the bacon but reserve some drippings.  Saute sliced leeks in the same skillet, utilizing that delicious bacon fat.  



Mix the chopped bacon and leeks and place into the tart shell.  Top with crumbled chevre. Sprinkle kosher salt and freshly ground pepper over mixture.  Lastly, mix 4 eggs with about 2/3 cup of light cream.   Pour into shell and bake on the bottom rack at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until filling is set and browned. 


One of the best things about my new tart shell is this.  It is removable.  I slid the tart out of the pan, placed it onto a cutting board and served our dinner.  


The reviews - Rob and I loved it.  Josh was pinching himself (in a comedic way) to make sure he was awake - he thought it was that delicious.  The girls - not so much.  Oh, well, you can't win them all! 

As the title suggests, I will be making tarts from now on - bye, bye, quiche. 

4 comments:

  1. Okay, got it. on the shopping list for when we move for the last time this summer (at least for a few years!) is cast iron pan and tart pan.

    btw, I think 1/2 the reason it was better was using your grandmother's skillet for the frying. There's a lot of love seasoned in that pan and I'm sure it came through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont love quiche much, maybe I'd like tart better. I'll have to keep my eys peeled for a tart pan while I'm op shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe - but it's more like a richer version of a quiche...obviously all the butter, cream and eggs help tremendously!

    Becky - you'd love an iron skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good, even better with feta instead of chevre!

    ReplyDelete