Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yogurt Parfaits

I feel a little like Emma, when she's dreaming up her next outfit.  She literally keeps a mental catalog of all of the outfits she wants to create - when we're traveling or she's at school and doesn't have access to her wardrobe.  It's kind of cute, actually.  Anyway, that's how I get when I'm brainstorming about a recipe idea.

Remember the lemon Chobani from yesterday?  Well, I've been thinking of the best way to utilize it's deliciousness.  Then I remembered this post from last spring.   I had just discovered a recipe from Nigella Lawson for raspberry-oatmeal swirls.  Basically, the recipe layers oatmeal-cookie crumbles with greek yogurt and pureed raspberries.  I think you know where I'm going with this.....

Let's get started, shall we? 



 Oatmeal Cookie Recipe (courtesy of the New Betty Crocker Cookbook)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup stick butter, softened
½ cup shortening
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour

1. Mix all ingredients except oats and flour.
2. Refrigerate mixture for at least four hours or overnight.
3. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment-paper lined cookie sheet.
4. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until browned.

I wanted crispy cookies, not necessarily pretty ones - I didn't bother chilling the batter. 

flat as pancakes - and perfect for crumbling!

ready for assembly

The next step is to puree the frozen raspberries - with powdered sugar. 

frozen raspberries with powdered sugar

pureed, but still frozen - in the food processor

Lastly, you'll need to assemble your parfaits.  Simply layer the raspberry puree with yogurt (we used lemon) and cookie crumbles. 




I think this would make a great lunchtime treat for your school-age (or at home) kiddos.  You could pack the cookies in a plastic bag and they could crumble them for a topping, right before eating.  My girls pack their lunch several times a week and mostly look forward to the "sweet treat" at the end. 

Nigella doesn't make her oatmeal cookies, but I have yet to find a packaged cookie (besides the Newman's Own brand - major sticker shock) that contains pronounceable ingredients.  You can certainly save yourself some time and just buy a package of oatmeal cookies.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...I have yoghurt but I dont have any raspberries on hand..bummer.
    I'm thinking I could substitute for apple and send Mr. P off with to work with this tomorrow...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! Perfect for my late-night snacking...sweet and satisfying. You are amazing, Kirsten. Thanks for posting! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks perfect except that I don't eat raspberries any more after accidentally eating a mouldy one.I don't think I'll ever get over it as I can't even eat anything with raspberry flavour.
    I think I could make it with strawberries or mangoes, thanks Kirsten, for another one to add to my recipe collection.

    ReplyDelete