Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thank You for Your Time

As I've mentioned before, I started this blog as a way to catalog my recipes for my sister-in-law.  I know we all struggle to come up with ideas for dinner and that it's a constant fight to make healthy choices.  I certainly do not purport to have all of the answers to the above concerns (or many at all, really), but I do love food and I love my family.  I enjoy so much my time spent cataloging recipes and sharing family stories.  An added benefit I never thought about are all of the relationships I've enjoyed with all of you! 

I enjoy reading blogs, but understand that it takes time to follow other sites.  I'd like to thank you one and all before we go any further.  I feel honored that you would invest your time in reading my thoughts.  Really, thank you. 

I am not, by nature, a very detail-oriented person.  I enjoy food because it's something that I enjoy and that cooking, for me, is something I can do quickly.  I am not talented in the art of display, I typically don't garnish my dishes, and my food styling is minimal.  I simply love the process of conceiving a recipe, executing it, and then eating it (the best part by far!). 

What I have noticed, since I've been tracking my stats, is that while recipe posts are fairly popular, the posts that garner the most attention are the ones non-related to food.  I love stories, too.  I love that in reading the thoughts of others, we gain some insight into their lives, and sometimes in the process, our own. 

I have decided that I'd like to invest a little more time into my blog.  I'm in the process of hiring someone to help me re-organize and streamline it.  I'd like to create tabs (probably including: recipes, family, travel, photography, etc.).  I know I need to start tagging, and I've even toyed with the idea of advertising.  At this point, it's hard for me to even find recipes I'm looking for. 

I would be so thankful if you could help me.  I would love suggestions, advice, your personal experience, etc.  What would you like to see more of?  Are there things you'd like to see less of? Constructive criticism would be much appreciated. 

I don't have much experience in this world, so all advice would be welcome.  I don't know what my options are beyond blogger and wordpress.  At this point, I am consistently receiving about 175 pageviews per day.  I don't even know if that's enough to think about advertising.  If I do advertise, I'd only participate with companies that I currently purchase from - and there aren't many, I'll be honest. 

At the very least, I'd like my blog to be more organized and user-friendly to those in search of something specific. 

So, bring on the suggestions - can't wait to hear them! Even if you've never commented before and you want to register as anonymous -

Thanks ever so much


Love, Kirsten

7 comments:

  1. I'd say, "you are welcome," but that's not appropriate for me from my perspective. I read you blog because I enjoy your posts and I am adding to my recipe box so for me, "thank you, back" is more appropriate!

    I don't have any suggestions for you and your blog except to say I've been thinking about re-organizing mine for a while now and the only constant I come away with is that it has to be something that makes sense for you first by way of "ease of use" and your readers "ease of browsing" second. It's sounds contrary but after all the blogs I've gone and visited, I think it makes the most sense.

    Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm not going to go anywhere. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frugal Flamingo used someone to help her with her website, I believe. If you liker hers, I'm sure that she would give you the contact info. And since she's frugal, the person probably has cheap rates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog. No suggestions, cause I think it is good. 175 viewers per day...cool I get about 40-70.
    Cute picture of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing I would suggest is something you're already considering and that's to archive your recipes in an easily searchable format. I often search for your recipes and eventually bookmark the ones I want to make again.

    I love your blog -all of it- recipes, family stuff, your thoughts. Tweak your changes and make it something you can continue to expand and nurture. But dont forget us little people when you get famous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, it's nice to find out about what you have been doing and also about your part of the world. I really love all the recipes you post, and agree that a better way to search your recipes would be great.
    I second Shay, please don't forget us when you are as famous as Pioneer Woman or Ina!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exciting! I can't wait to see how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. kirsten- reading your blog is a window into the life of a family- a family i know of course! i delight in hearing the stories of people's lives. you often tell your stories through the veil of food, which is so interesting (like your recent post about stuffed shells). one aspect of your blog i enjoy and would love more of is your restraunt experiences. i have officially made styer's garden cafe my destination reward for running my first half marathon!

    ReplyDelete