Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Ina's Lemon Pound Cake
I saw Ina make this recipe on the Barefoot Contessa last week and knew I had to try it. I made a yogurt-citrus cake (with lemon, lime, and orange) a number of years ago and have since lost the recipe. I was hoping this cake would be just as good - it was close.
Here is the original recipe, courtesy of the food network and Ina Garten.
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt1 cup sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup canola oil
1. Whisk the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, oil, yogurt, lemon zest).
2. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt).
3. Combine with a spatula until smooth, do not overmix.
4. Bake in a loaf pan at 350 degrees for 50 minutes (or in a tart pan for 35 or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean).
- in a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice until melted. Pour over hot cake. Top with glaze if desired (1 cup confectioners sugar with 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice).
*** I made this in a tart pan for a prettier presentation***
We took this to a friend's house for dinner - it must have been good because we came home with an empty plate! I have yet to make an Ina Garten recipe that I didn't love.