Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Brunch Recipes

I'm not really sure I'd describe the following as recipes, more like instructions.  Both of these dishes are so easy and the components can be made at least the day before your event.  All that needs to be finished is assembly right before your guests arrive!  Both of these recipes are courtesy of my mom, with a few little twists from me. 




The chicken salad combines roasted chicken with your typical salad ingredients.  I roast a whole chicken a la Ina Garten, drizzling olive oil and sprinkling generously with salt and pepper.  When the chicken is finished (aka the popper has popped) and cooled, I  pull the meat from the bones.  I combine the chicken, 2 stalks of celery, and 1 small onion in a food processor and pulse until fairly fine.  I then combine with the desired amount of mayonnaise, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and a dollop of sweet pickle relish.  Delish. 





The green bean salad.  So good, but something a little different.  And, maybe you can't tell from this picture, but there is lettuce underneath all of the other ingredients.  But, I bet you could skip the lettuce altogether and it would be very yummy.  My favorite is the crunch from the walnuts.  I feel like everything needs a little crunch to be satisfying.

blanched green beans (cooked and then refrigerated until cold)
toasted walnut pieces
dried cranberries
crumbled feta
lettuce (I used red leaf)

drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette (feel free to make a larger quantity - this is basically a ratio)
3 T olive oil
1 1/2 T balsamic vinegar
1 tsp orange juice
1/2 tsp dijon

I put my dressing ingredients into a jar and shake well

2 comments:

  1. I'm a crunch girl too Kirsten but I 'll pass on the nuts for crunch since I'm allergic.

    You know I've never done a chicken salad that way - I've book marked because it sounds really easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice and easy one and I can find all the ingredients here, thanks Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete