Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Nitty Gritty

of having a food blog. 

Let me say to begin with, I don't consider myself a food blogger.  I think my blog would have to be earning money or at least products for this to be considered an occupation.  I consider myself a wife and mother who enjoys eating, cooking, and writing about it. 

Having a food blog is great fun.  It's also very convenient - if someone asks me for a recipe, I simply email them the link from the blog post that corresponds.  I love sharing recipes, information, and the little bit of knowledge I can claim.  I also feel so blessed by the relationships I've formed because of this journey. 

Sometimes, though, the nitty gritty is just that. 

1.  There have been quite a few times that I took tons of pictures and intended to publish a recipe that turned out to be a huge disappointment. 

this is when I tried to make fig newtons

great pics, mediocre result

2.  Making a great meal and not taking pictures of it until there's nothing left except for this. Our dinner last night included plump and flavorful grilled shrimp, savory lentil soup, garden salads, and impossibly fluffy and tender cheesy garlic biscuits.  The sun was even shining - but we were racing around to get to soccer practice.  All you're left with is this - sorry. 




3.  Dragging this camera around with me when I eat in a restaurant.  It's pretty embarrassing - I think more so for the people I'm with. 

4.  Going to the grocery store nearly every day.  

5.  Having to take pictures with dirty hands, frantically searching for natural light, and taking a picture of food I don't want to wait to eat. 

6.  Considering this artwork for my kitchen

just waiting for Rob to hang these on the wall!


these are prints I had made from previous recipe posts

Truth time: I kind of love these photos.  It might be hard to tell in the picture, but they came out really well.  I hope they will look good on this wall above my shelf - they might just add a little color to our kitchen. 

7.  Trying to take a picture while avoiding: my cabinet doors that don't close, my dirty floor, dirty dishes, or ingredients I haven't put away. 

8.  Avoiding the work I really should be doing.  Right now my to do list contains many things I don't feel like tackling.  I'm hosting a brunch tomorrow and preparing a luncheon for Thursday and next Tuesday.  I'm sitting here instead.  Because it's fun.  I love blogging, nitty gritty and all.  Thanks for reading! 

4 comments:

  1. And I love reading your posts. I even tried some of your recipes and I totally admire your pictures, ever since I tried making a halfway decent picture of my chocolate cake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are the laments of every food blogger :) I've had experiences with all of the above as well! keep blogging though- i love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your food posts and I think you should completely consider yourself a food blogger.

    I hear you on several of those things like trying to take a photo when you're up to your eyeballs in cake dough. My benches are always messy when I cook so finding a space for a decent picture is hard and I always forget a step when Im doing a recipe post. I appreciate the effort you go to , to bring us such yummy recipes.

    (And it gladdens me to know that even with your superior skills you manage to make dud meals occasionally!)

    You keep blogging- if you stop Maison Pyjamas will probably have to live on toasted sandwiches...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your food posts too and have tried a couple of your great recipes and have a few more tucked away for future use.
    It is nice to know that you also have the occasional days when it doesn't turn out quite how you expected, that does make me feel a whole lot better - sorry!
    Love your blog so keep going and love your photos.

    ReplyDelete