Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easy as Pie

Key Lime Pie.  The easiest dessert to make.  Refreshing.  Springlike.  Tart.  Creamy.  Fulfilling. 

The other day I tried to make "mini key lime pies".  Sounds cute, right?  They weren't, but with enough whipped cream, no one cared what they looked like.  I would suggest you make your key lime pie in a pie plate and not in a 9x13 baking pan. 

I like to make my own graham cracker crust, and even while going that extra step, you'll still have dessert in no time at all.  All you'll need to do is throw some graham crackers into a sealed bag and smash them with a rolling pin. 


Key Lime Pie

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 T butter, melted
2 T granulated sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lime juice (I use the real lime juice in a plastic lime)
2 tsp lime zest
3 egg yolks
fresh whipped cream (whip heavy cream with granulated sugar)

1.  Mix crumbs, melted butter and 2 T granulated sugar.  Place into a pie plate and press firmly.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  I remove my pie plate when I can smell the crust.  Allow the crust to cool.
2.  With an electric mixer, combine milk, juice, zest, and yolks in your mixing bowl.  Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium for 2 minutes or until nicely combined.
3.  Pour milk mixture over cooled crust. 
4.  Bake pie at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until set. 
5.  Refrigerate for at least four hours before serving. 
6.  Top with fresh whipped cream. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Key Lime Pie. I think I might love anything with lime in it.

    ReplyDelete