Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Crab Quiche

This quiche recipe was inspired by the hot crab dip I make.  A few months ago I decided to experiment.  We have quiche for dinner at least once a month and the kids really enjoy it.  I basically used the general recipe and added eggs to the crab dip base.  I've made it for two events since and one of the comments I received was, "that's the best quiche I've ever had".  It is really good, and the best news is that the crabmeat is the kind in the tuna aisle (aka it's very affordable).

Not too many ingredients, and very affordable.  I think this could be a very versatile recipe - you could add asparagus, roasted red peppers, sauteed celery, different cheeses.

In this application, I sauteed finely diced onion, which I liked better than the scallions in the original crab dip recipe.

Creamy Crab Quiche






1 prepared pie crust, unbaked
1 can lump crabmeat (in can, not refrigerated)
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 T butter
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
3 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream*
3 T parmesan cheese
salt, pepper
1 tsp dijon
1 tsp horseradish

1.  In a saute pan, melt the butter and cook the diced onion over medium heat until just starting to brown.

2.  Sprinkle swiss cheese over unbaked crust.

3.  Drain the crabmeat.  Break apart the lumps and sprinkle over swiss cheese.

4.  Top with browned onions.

5.  Mix eggs, cream, dijon, horseradish, salt and pepper and pour over onions [in crust].

6.  Top with shredded parmesan and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until crust is browned and egg is set in center of quiche.

7.  Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. 

* I know you're cringing at the heavy cream, but trust me, it's necessary.  I know there are evil things out there, like "fat-free half and half".  Not good people, not good at all.  Sometimes a little fat is all that will do to make your recipes taste authentic.  Just have a small piece - everything in moderation.

5 comments:

  1. this looks so yummy! its been awhile since i've made a quiche so now i have another meal planned for next week :) thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this what you made for Rob's luncheon last week? Jer got one of the last pieces for lunch and Friday and LOVED it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOSH, this looks amazing! I love your photos, too. Thanks for posting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look good but I dont know if we can get crab meat in cans here -I've never looked. I'll have to suss that out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shay we can get crab meat in cans here.
    That looks good, another one to add to my to try list.
    Thanks Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete