Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Apple Pie Tutorial

Is there anything better than apple pie?  I'll show you how I make mine - it's really, really good - and, although minimally time-consuming, it's worth it. 

I try to use local apples whenever possible - these are Stayman Winesap - perfectly tart and firm.  I peel and slice and then pop the bowl in the microwave for about five minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. 

fresh cinnamon and nutmeg are terrific in this rustic application

I then add the dry ingredients - 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1 tsp kosher salt, 2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.  Stir and microwave for another five minutes or so.  

I use the microwave because unlike the stovetop for cooking, the apples don't stick to the bowl!

 Place the apples into a prepared crust - my recipe: 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup shortening, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 5-6 T of ice water.  

The next step is to prepare the crumb topping : 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 5 T butter



Bake pie at 375 degrees (on bottom rack) for about 40-50 minutes or until top is nicely browned.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.  We also enjoy ours the next morning (warmed) with milk on top!  


4 comments:

  1. This sounds a lot easier than the way I usually make apple pie (which occurs once in a blue moon!)

    Next time I have som apples laying around I'll give it a go (Mr. P loves apple pie )

    Thanks for giving us your take on pie Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple pie, but very rarely make it. I never thought to put the apples in the microwave to start them cooking, what a fabulously brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Stayman Winesaps .. we don't get them out here. I might have to use Granny Smiths instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this for Thanksgiving and Christmas and my family loved it. It's now February, we're going skiing this weekend in northern PA, and my family requested that I make this. It is so yummy - the best recipe I've tried & not hard to make.

    I'm going to modify it a bit to make a 13x9 or 8x8 apple crisp for this weekend. Can't wait to dig in!

    ReplyDelete