Friday, February 25, 2011

Favourite Thing Friday

My favourite thing today is Betty Crocker. No, not that evil frosting in a tub or brownie mix - the actual cookbook. I realize that Betty isn't a real person - but this cookbook has traveled with me for the past thirteen years. A lot has happened during that time - when I first started using this cookbook I was newly married, living in western New York and expecting a baby.



I have always told everyone that if you can read, you can cook. When I was a new wife and had a cooking question I would run to the phone. If my mom wasn't home, I'd go to "Betty". I have lost count of the number of great recipes this simple book contains. Some of the pages are more well-worn than others, some pages actually stick together at this point - especially the one for lemon meringue pie.


I still use this cookbook and I'm amazed at how far we've come together (me and Betty, that is).  When I first started using this cookbook, I had no idea what hummus was or how to roast a chicken. 

I have searched through my blog to highlight a few recipes that have come from my trusted friend - here are a few - simply click on the highlighted names!

crepes, waffles, lemon meringue pie, tomato bisque, peanut butter cookies, foccacia, carrot cake, lemon squares, and three-cheese ball [to name a few]!

10 comments:

  1. My favorite meatloaf recipe came from Betty Crocker, by way of a friend about 30 years ago ... Great FTF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many favorite recipes from Betty. One is for a delicious white icing that is so easy and so delicious with chocolate cake and no, it doesn't come out of a can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of cookbooks that have been with me for forever. I always go to them for tried and true recipes even though I have a squillion recipe books. I have the Betty Crocker recipe app on my iPad, I'll have to take a bit more time to look at the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that frosting in a tub ! But it's so darn expensive. Does Betty have a recipe for that?

    Old cookbooks that have been with us for a long time evoke wonderful memories of times past , meals made and shared and the people we were way back when. I love that you have stuck together pages in your book and this post made me imagine how you might have been as a young Mum and how far you've come. You may have relied on Betty in those days but now people (me !) rely on you for inspiration. (I was only telling someone about your devil soup yesterday )

    Great post Kirsten, Truly loved it.

    ANudge - can you share that white frosting recipe with us please or is it a family secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I'm making the sweet potatoe with glazed orange sauce from Betty Crocker. My mother used this as her "bible" for her years of cooking and running her little beach bar in the Virgin Islands. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty has been my go-to cookbook too since I first learned to cook, right on through the present. I still make the stuffed peppers from Betty's recipe. Have had to give up a lot of the baking recipes when I went gluten-free, but the pages that are stuck together in my book are for the banana cake! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red Betty Crocker cookbook is my favorite ever. Your site looks yummy! My mom just passed down the cookie cookbook to me, it's well used and ripped pages scream childhood memories to me. Love this FTF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I have a Btty Crocker Cook Book and I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great FTF post. My copy of Betty Crocker gets a work out whenever I have to cook (which is not much these days). But if I want to fix something Mom fixed, it's usually in there. So Betty Crocker = comfort food for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Betty Crocker cookbook came from a tag sale for 25 cents. Who in the world could part with Betty?!? LOL

    Fabulous favorite. I love cookbooks. I have an entire bookshelf devoted to them. :o) My all-time favorite is the Searchlight Recipe Book. Have you seen those? They were popular in the Midwest in the 30s/40s. I love them because they use very basic ingredients to make wonderful dishes.

    Thanks for sharing, Kirsten! Happy Sunday! :o)

    ReplyDelete