Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer on a Plate

I wish I could freeze summer.  This time of year - the middle of August.  Produce is in full swing.  The grass is brilliantly green.  The nights are a little cooler.  The days are still long.  I am not one of those people that would "miss the seasons".  I would be very happy to have a perpetual temperature of 80ish. 

I'd like to suggest that this dish is the theme of my summer 2011 cooking style.  Not fancy.  Just honest good food. 


I guess I'll describe this as a caprese panzanella salad. 

fresh mozzarella, basil, oregano, parsley, cherry tomatoes - croutons

The croutons are the first step.  Tear some chunks from a loaf of french bread.  Saute in an iron skillet with
butter, olive oil, garlic powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper.  Once the croutons are nicely browned, remove them to your mixing bowl. 




Place whole cherry tomatoes into the same iron skillet and on medium-high heat, allow the tomatoes to sear.  You won't want them to cook for too long - just enough to give them some color (maybe 3 minutes).   



Chop some pepperoncini, the fresh herbs, and the mozzarella and place into mixing bowl with croutons.  Drizzle mixture with balsamic vinegar and additional olive oil.  Mix and serve. 


3 comments:

  1. Blogger ate my initial commet....(maybe it was hungry after seeing your delicious looking recipe!)

    Ive bookmarked this one because it's a summer salad and looks amazing. The colours just beckon you to eat it.

    Like you I wish the temp was 75-80 all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I'm lucky then because the temp is kind of that here most of the year, a bit hotter in summer but not much cooler in winter.
    That looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I see these blogs (like one I was just reading a moment ago) that have big-name advertisers on their site and it generates revenue (magazine interviews, HGTV/Food Network spots, etc). If anyone should be getting a check for a focused blog, it's you. I'm sure your intentions are just sharing with your friends, but the quality of the recipes, the healthy aspect, home-grown or locally grown aspect, and the shockingly professional photography really should get you somewhere. I think about this EVERY time I read your posts.

    ReplyDelete