Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tiramisu


I have tried to make tiramisu countless times.  With limited success.  The first time I tried to make it, we took the pan to our bible study where it promptly spilled all over the host's freezer.  Turns out that all of the creamy alcohol deadening flavor leaked out and we were left with rum-ma-misu.  It was awful. 

I've always used cream cheese.  When I made the disappointing tiramisu cupcakes, I discovered the fabulous decadence of mascarpone. 

Mascarpone is "a soft and delightful Italian sweet cream cheese" (courtesy of Bel Gioso).  It's also delightfully expensive.  Or not.  I actually just found out that our wholesale club sells three 8oz containers for $7.29 - compare that with the Giant price of $4.49 for one 8oz container.  So I ended up with three containers. 

The mascarpone makes all of the difference. 

I simply followed the recipe on the container.  This was so easy.  I literally had the dish assembled in less than 10 minutes.  And it was some of the best tiramisu I've ever tasted. 

Tiramisu (courtesy of Bel Gioso)
3 large eggs
1 cup espresso
1/2 cup sugar
2 T brandy
8 oz mascarpone
2 T cocoa powder
10 ladyfingers (I used 24)

1.  combine 3 egg yolks, 1 T espresso, sugar, and brandy.  beat for 3 minutes.  add mascarpone and beat for an additional 3-5 minutes, until smooth.

2.  in another bowl, combine 3 egg whites with a pinch of sugar.  beat until stiff peaks form.  gently fold into mascarpone mixture.

3.  quickly dip each ladyfinger in remaining espresso and layer on bottom of small serving dish (I used a loaf pan).  spread mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with cocoa.  repeat with soaked ladyfingers and cream mixture.  sprinkle with cocoa. 

4.  refrigerate at least three hours before serving. 

4 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to make Tiramisu - I'll have to keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Tiramisu is one of my favorite decadent desserts. This recipe looks easy enough to try. Thanks!

    I was culling through one of my older cook books recently and found a recipe for lady fingers. I bet they take longer to make than this tiramisu! ☺

    PS...The vanilla pudding was such a hit, I went to the kitchen last night and made another batch. This time, I substituted the sugar with 2/3 C brown sugar to make Butterscotch. Someone got into it late last night. ☺ From the looks of the missing pudding, it must've been good too. LOL Thanks for sharing the pudding recipe! Happy Friday! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious Kirsten. I'm going to bookmark this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use marscapone to do fruit flans . Yes I eat fruit ...

    My Dad is a tiramisu addict.

    ReplyDelete